11.18.2009

Frugal and Fabulous

As a newlywed and soon to be grad student frivolous spending is not in my vocabulary. However, it does include BOGO, DIY projects, and meal planning. Yes, you are probably thinking this is too much work for a busy twenty something. Maybe you are thinking that I have no life. I beg to differ.

A couple of weekends ago I hosted a bachelorette party for my nearest and dearest friend Kristy (the one with the veil). Most of our best friends from grade school where there and it was so fun to catch up as "adults." I made baked ziti (click to see recipe) which everyone loved, lake house salad, and garlic bread. Needless to say it was yummy but the whole point that I am getting at is not my kitchen skills but my saving skills. I don't remember the exact amount that I saved on the meal but my girls were impressed. Hints the point of this post.


I left the beach promising to email everyone my tips and thought dedicating posts on a blog would be more efficient. First let me start by saying that my savings to me are practical. Living frugal is a lifestyle, but it can be overwhelming in the beginning. The process is different for everyone so take it one step at a time. A coupon here or there or eating in instead of out. So along with all my other jargon I hope to help you see that there is a light at the end of the frugal tunnel. My light is more shoes instead of groceries :).
Here are three basic steps to get you started....

Step 1:
Make a budget-
I know, its awful but what better way is there to see exactly where your money is going? There isn't. Ross and I have a budget for each month categorized by all the necessities- food, rent, electric, and so on. You will be amazed on how fast money goes especially for food.

Step 2:
Buy the Sunday paper-
2 to 3 a week if possible. Don't clip, save by date. Websites tell you exactly when and where the coupons exists.

Step 3:
Read Blogs-
Saving Money Living Life was started by a sweet friend in my bible study and one of my bridesmaids. Both are newlywed Samford grads who love a deal. The entire blog is based on saving money and time by highlighting topics such as: CVS, Publix, and coupon lingo just to name a few. I promise that if you follow their blog not only will you be inspired but you will save a lot of dough.

Making cut backs in life is possible. I'm fortunate to start out so young with so little. To me its more than living frugal but living radical. Every penny that I can save I hope to be able to use to give back to the One who gives. Whether is is sponsoring a child through Compassion International or going to the nations. I pray to live my life radically now with nothing and radically in the future with more. After all, its His.

Read on,
MT

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog and was clicking around and love it! I too am a 20-something newlywed, living on little, and trying to glorify the Lord with what little we have! Thanks for the tips - I'm seriously impressed with your shopping skills! (And totally jealous that you get to hear David Platt all the time :)
Jessica

Related Posts with Thumbnails